Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Dream Birds Color Challenge

I fell in love with the adorable images that Asela illustrated for Gina's new set Dream Birds. I love coloring and the images from this set are so much fun to color. So when I read Gina's blog post about participating in the Illustrator Color Challenge and enter to win a chance to be the CSS Designer for the next release, I knew I was ready to go with this set.  Here is a link to Gina's challenge.  And here is my card for the challenge.


For those of you that want to know how I made the card, here are the details:

I actually used more than two of the spring colors.  I used Creme De Menthe, Ocean Mist and Lovely Lavender

For the green layer I stamped the stars from the set on Ocean Mist and Lovely Lavender card stock with Cool Carribean and Pale Plum ink.  I cut out the large and medium stars.  And yes it took forever. LOL!  I glued them to the Creme de Menthe layer and then ran it through my Big Kick with the Mosaic Cuttlebug embossing folder.  I think the embossing makes it look like it is quilted.  I finished it off with some stitching around the edges. 

Now that did not take nearly enough of my time, so I decided to paper piece the entire main panel. I started by stamping the branch and the sentiment on a piece of heavy weight Pure Luxury white card stock.  I cute the white panel using the Labels Eight Spellbinders die.  I cut the next size larger from Chocolate Kiss card stock and ran it through a Sizzix flower embossing folder before applying the white layer onto it with Scotch foam tape.

Then I stamped the branch on a piece of woodgrain paper from Cosmo Cricket Nutgmeg Mini Deck pad, cut it out, and applied it to the white layer. 

I stamped the leaves part of the branch image on Creme de Menthe twice.  I ran it through my little Xyron Sticker maker.  That thing was very handy for this part of the project.  I cut out the little leaves from one of the stamped portions and applied them to the white panel.  Then to add even more dimension I cut out some of the leaves from the second stamped portion and applied them on top of the already pieced leaves.  Whew!!! 

I stamped the cute little bird on a piece of Lemon Drop (oh yeah, I used some of that too) and a piece of Ocean Mist.  I cut the whole bird out of the Ocean Mist and just the belly portion out of the Lemon Drop.  I glued the Lemon Drop layer onto the Ocean Mist layer and added him to the white panel with some Scotch foam tape. 

I stamped the smaller butterfly on some Lovely Lavender card stock and cut it out.  I colored the body with a white gel pen.  I applied the butterfly with some more Scotch foam tape.

Finally I created a little ribbon button treatment with some blue gingham ribbon and purple grosgrain ribbon from the Spring Ribbon Assortment.  The green and blue buttons are from the Spring Button Assortment.  I used a little DMC white embroidery floss to tie the ribbons together and then tied them around the criss crossed ribbon.

So there it is. I really like how it turned out.


No comments: